The Holland Arms’ Cod Welsh Rarebit
Served with Creamed Leeks
2 fillet of cod 7oz skinned and pin-boned (all good fishmongers will happily do this for you)
10 new potatoes
For the creamed leeks:
5oz y fenni cheese (found in most supermarkets)
1 medium leek sliced finely
50ml white wine
150ml whipping cream
salt and pepper
100ml vegetable stock
1. Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water.
2. Place the leek in boiling water and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
3. Strain the leeks, leave to cool and squeeze out excess water.
4. Place the white wine and vegetable stock in a pan and reduce by one third.
5. Add the leeks and cream and let simmer on a low heat.
6. Grill the cod fillet for 3-5 minutes and then turn over.
7. Place the y fenni cheese on the fish and place under the grill until the cheese starts to turn golden brown.
8. The creamed leeks should now have thickened, season to taste.
9. Spoon the leeks in the centre of the plate and place the boiled new potatoes on top.
10. Gently place the cod on top of the potatoes and garnish with deep-fried carrots and balsamic vinegar reduction.