Cawl (pronounced cowl) is a wholesome and hearty soup or stew using whatever happens to be in season. Great as a light lunch or starter, or supper dish; serve with fresh crusty bread.
- 1.8kg (4 lb) neck of lamb or lamb chops or a mixture of the 2
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 white potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 parsnip, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 swede, cut into large chunks
- 2 leeks, sliced (green and white parts)
- 1-2 vegetable stock cubes, depending on taste
Preparation time: approx. 30min
Cooking time: approx. 2hours
- Add the lamb in to a large stock pot.
- Cover with water, add salt and pepper, and simmer over a medium heat for 45 minutes or more, until cooked and tender.
- Skim any fat from surface of the soupAdd all root vegetables, cut into chunks of similar size to ensure even cooking times.
- Leave to simmer for a further 45 minutes.
- Add washed, sliced leeks, vegetable stock cubes and extra seasoning if required, and leave to boil for twenty minutes.
- Serve immediately, or cool quickly, refrigerate and reheat the next day.